Tips for working abroad – what to consider

Language skills: You should be able to communicate with authorities, colleagues and patients.
Contacts on site: Either through acquaintances or go there beforehand and sound out the situation, apply for a residence permit.
Start-up capital: Important so that you can bridge the first time without income.
Country-specific etiquette: You should know it so as not to slip into a faux pas.
Insurance: Inquire beforehand about your pension, health and liability insurance.

Europa EAPT non Member Countries – Working as a PT in the UK

Working as a Pharmacy Technician in the UK

The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) regulate pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacies who are on the professional register in Great Britain. The GPhC role is to protect the public and give them assurance that they will receive safe and effective care when using pharmacy services.

If you have trained or been registered as a pharmacy technician in a country outside the United Kingdom (UK), you must complete additional qualifications in the UK before you can apply to register. You will also need to complete work experience.

From 1 January 2021, this includes applicants with pharmacy technician qualifications from an EEA country. But it does not include applicants who are defined as being ‘qualifying applicants’ in SI 2020/1394. If, for example, you are a Swiss national with a pharmacy technician qualification from an EEA country please contact international@pharmacyregulation.org for information on the process you will need to follow.

All other applicants will need to complete:

  • the integrated or linked knowledge and competence qualification(s) as set out on this website and in the criteria for registration as a pharmacy technician
  • a minimum of two years’ work-based experience in the UK, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands (you can complete a shorter period if you can provide evidence that you qualified and were eligible to practise as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician in a country outside the UK)

All information can be found on https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/registration/registering-pharmacy-technician/applicants-with-international-pharmacy-technician-qualifications